Saturday, March 24, 2007

Joni's Tofu Egg Salad



It's coming up on summertime. Picnics and trips to the beach are well on there way. I used to love the egg salad sandwiches my mom used to make for us. They were pretty plain. No onions, no pickles, no capers. Just eggs, mayo and a smidge of mustard. Well, I'm all grown up now, with grown up tastebuds. Here is my take on my childhood favorite.



Tofu Egg Salad
2 tbsp olive Oil
12 oz block of extra firm tofu (pressed, drained and cubed*)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup, or 1/2 of one yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp dill
1/8 tsp paprika
1/2 cup vegan mayo
1 tbsp yellow or dijon mustard
Salt & Pepper to taste
Black Salt, to taste, to add that egg-y flavor (optional)

In a skillet, at medium/high heat place oil, onion and garlic. Saute until fragrant. Add tofu (cut into tiny little 1/4 inch cubes and saute 10-12 minutes or until golden. Reduce heat add spices and nutritional yeast. Fold until well coated, turn off heat and let cool. Once cool, add Mayo and mustard. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve on sprouted grain bread, in a whole grain tortilla, or on a bed of greens. Makes enough filling for 8 wraps or sandwiches.

*I like to cube my tofu for this recipe, because I like the toothier feel to the cubes, but I have also crumbled it as well. Crumbling makes it more "yolky." Cubing it makes it more "eggy."

Yield: 8 Servings

















11 comments:

NiamhNIMROD said...

Doesn't French's mustard have animal flavourings or something in it?

eviedee said...

I tried tofu egg salad for the first time just a few weeks ago and was shocked how crazy delicious it was. I would have never thought to saute it. Can't wait to try your version!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I stumbled into your blog!
This was delicious.

Anonymous said...

But BTW the first poster is right, French's isn't vegan :(
I used a store brand dijon mustard though with fantastic results.

Joni Marie Newman said...

okay, so I just did a quick search on the internet, and the only info I can find about the ingredients in French's mustard not being vegan is in the form of answers to questions on forums and such, stating the "natural flavors" are not vegan. I just sent an email to the company itself, and am awaiting the answer. I will let you guys know...

tasty said...

I LOVE your blog. This recipe (like all your recipes) looks so delicious.

I recommend to try black salt to add more egg flavour. (google black salt + vegan) It will blow ur mind. ;)

Connie Fletcher said...

OMG, this is jut sooooo delicious!!!!! I just made this...and used dijon. This is soooo yummy...thank you, Joni...thank you so much....

Angela Lockyer said...

We're working our way through the burger book and found this (with the black salt!).Couldn't wait for it to cool down so we had it warm on toast for brunch with a blob of mayo on top. Absolutely yummy! Inspired.

Joni Marie Newman said...

Thanks Angela! I, too, love the addition of the black salt for that super egg-y sulphur-y flavor(and stink! Ha!) I dhould just add it to this post, so people know how good it is :)

recette beignet au chocolat said...

What a surprisingly lovely combination. And the simplicity of the dish is so appealing!Prepared some last night and it tasted so good. Now my family wants me to make it again soon. Two thumbs up.

Joni Marie Newman said...

Glad you liked it!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni