Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Deli Style No-Tuna Melt

Though technically not a burger, these puppies fit very nicely on a bun, or between two pieces of bread. It really tastes like tuna salad. Really!

Serving Suggestion:
Grilled between two slices of sourdough, with dijon mustard, 2 slices of roma tomato and a nice slice of vegan cheese. (Note: I never buy fake cheese. I don't like it. I'd rather make my own. There are lot's of good recipes out there for nooch based cheezes, or if you have Cozy Inside, try using the Nutty Cheeze.)

Pattied up. You don't have to form these into patties, I just did it since it is a burger book:


Ready for grillin' on sourdough with a slather of dijon, some nutty cheeze, two slices of roma tomato and, of course, some extra Vegenaise:


After cooking:


Inside Shot:


Ingredients (makes enough for 4 sandwiches)
8 oz soy tempeh, crumbled into teeeny tiny pieces
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/4 tsp dill
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. You can use this on a sandwich, or on a bed of greens for a no-tuna salad

If making a melt, preheat your cast iron skillet or pan. To get the best browning without added fat and calories, spray the pan with nonstick spray, then cook until browned, applyin pressure from the top with a spatula, spray the top with cooking spray, then flip, and apply pressure until browned.

12 comments:

julie hasson said...

That is one gorgeous lookin' sandwich Joni!!

Thanks for the recipe. I need to make that sandwich.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, looks great! Everything is better with sourdough!

Anonymous said...

oh yum looks so good! Um.. I've never heard of templeh though.. typo?

JENNA said...

i'm pissed i used up my veganaise yesterday with the vow not to buy more for a while. i might have to make an exception for this sandwich.

nerdling said...

That looks soooo tasty! I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

b36: I've given up buying Vegenaise for good—I make mayo at home using this recipe (and reuse an old Vegenaise jar for storage): http://epicurvegan.blogspot.com/2007/10/even-better-than-veganaise.html

Joni Marie Newman said...

manda...HA! yes a typo. nerdling...thanks for the link to the mayo recipe, there are lots out there, I even have one in CozyInside, but, man, nothing beats the yumminess of Vegenaise. I met the inventor of Vegenaise, and founder of Follow Your Heart recently. He is an awesome dude. So now I have even less guilt supporting a company that was founded by a lifetime vegetarian and all around awesome granola cruncher!

Anonymous said...

nerdling - hah, you remind me of my roommate. She just used up her veganaise, too! She, however, has been on a sandwich kick and wants more asap.

Val said...

This looks awesome. Also, I had to give a little shout-out, because you are the only other vegan blogger in the OC that I have encountered, and I found that very exciting. So, yeah. Hey.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

yet another delicious creation from you, Joni - you're pure talent!

Leslie said...

Let me just say...wow! I made this last night and it was absolutely delicious. Both my roommate and I enjoyed it and I was glad to find something we love that's very fast to make.

Tami said...

Joni, I finally tried this sandwich and it's amazing! So quick and easy and most of all, delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joni - should the tempeh be cooked? i thought i read somewhere where raw tempeh was unsafe to eat..might be confusing that with something else, though.

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni