Sunday, October 12, 2008

VeganMoFo and Burger Roll-ups



Otherwise known as a roulade. I made these to be sliced and eaten as BURGERS! One roll yields about 10 or 12 burgers, so there's plenty leftover for work lunches and quick weeknight heat ups.

On a home made sweet potato bun with vegenaise and steamed broccoli.


Ingredients
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp veggie broth powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups water
1/2 cup olive oil

Directions
In a mixing bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add water and oil and knead for about 5 minutes. Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile make the filling...

Filling
1 14 oz block of extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and crumbled
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup ground cashews
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 14 oz can (about 2 cups) diced tomatoes, drained
1 14 oz can (about 2 cups) spinach, drained
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp minced garlic

Directions
Mush all ingredients together in a bowl, set aside until ready to use...

After the dough has set for 20 minutes, roll it out into a large rectangle. I use a cookie sheet to do this. After you get a nice, large, flat rectangle, spread out the filling leaving about an inch around the edges. Roll up tightly and place seam down on a large sheet of aluminum foil, wrap and twist the edges tight. Place seam side down on a baking sheet, and bake for 90 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool enough to handle. Unwrap, and slice about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick and serve on your favorite bun!

6 comments:

Bex said...

wow, this looks totally cool. I might use this method for the Thanksgiving roast.

aTxVegn said...

Great idea, Joni! It looks really delicious.

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Yummmmmm! Excellent idea!

...barbara... said...

i think if i attempted to make this i would make myself sick by eating the entire filling mixture before it got to enter the rest of the recipe an then be sad that i just have seitan but then happy again because seitan rocks....will this stop me?...no...ha...

J-Dub said...

Wow, that looks so good! I'm totally going to give this a go.

al oof said...

wow, this is pretty awesome. they have those roulade burger things at the butcher across from my work (i have to go there sometimes) and i thought they'd be a cool thing to find veganized. and here they are!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni