Friday, October 2, 2009

Orecchiette Rigate in a Quick Garlic Cream Sauce



Pasta. Me and pasta have been good friends for a very, very long time. Be it an elbow, linguine, lasagne, soba, cous cous, or even plain ol' spaghetti. A bowl of pasta can be as simple as tossed in a little olive oil, or complicated with a slow cooked home made marinara. However it's served up, pasta gives me comfort. Let's me know that whatever the day has challenged me with...well...it's all gonna be okay.



Orecchiette Rigate in a Quick Garlic Cream Sauce

1 pound pasta of choice (in this case Orecchiette Rigate)
1 stick nondairy butter (like Earth Balance)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1-2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk
1 tablespoon dried basil (optional)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
sea salt and frersh cracked pepper to taste

Prepare pasta according to package directions. In a pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add garlic and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent browning. Add in flour and stir vigorously to form a roux. Continue to stir until mixture is a thick paste and turns a lovely golden color. Add in 1 cup of the milk. Reduce heat to low and stir until thickened. If you like a very thick sauce, that's it. Add in the basil, pine nuts (if using), salt and pepper and you're done. If you prefer a thinner sauce add in additional milk until the desired consistncy is reached. Immediately pour over pasta and enjoy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOw great recipe sounds goods

Katie said...

HOLY cow, does this look amazing...

Debra said...

This looks soooo very good. My girls were drooling. Will be making soon!

Anonymous said...

yum yum yum garlicy pasta. sounds so good right now.

Jen Treehugger said...

Pasta rocks and this looks awesome!

Bex said...

and I just found dinner tomorrow night! thanks

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That is the creamiest, most delectable pasta I've ever seen!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni